I was contacted by Brian Pascoe, who said he thought his father has come second in the Goulburn to Sydney Race. He provided me with photos of a medal:
The text of Goulburn to Sydney 1902 – 1992 results for 1938 include:
- J Wood – off 44 mins Time 5:46:20
- M. Mills (Penrith) – off 56 mins Time 5:58:30
- J. Ross – off 30 mins Time 5:32:30
- Bill Moritz – off scratch Time 5:4:51
- J. Christison – off scratch Time:?
- A. Barlow – off scratch Time:?
- W.Barker – off 40mins Time5:39:50
- W. Whittingham – off 33 mins Time:?
- W. McNamars – off 32.5 mins Tome: 5:32:23
- Alf Strom – off scratch Time 5:12:59
- Allen Scott – off scratch Time 5:12:59+
- Frank Gould – off 9 mins Time:?
As you can see no L Pascoe is mentioned
However a quick search through the earlier years came up with:
1936 amateur race when two Pascoes are mentioned, an E Pascoe who was riding with the scratch bunch at Yerrinbool.
And from the winners list:
- M. Rothwell – off 24mins Time 5:41:39
- D. Pascoe – off 42 mins Time 6:5:16
- E. Handley – off 20 mins Time: 5:43:20
- C. Winterbottom – off scratch Time 5:31:19
- F. Nelson – off Scratch Time 5:31:19+
- R. Bradley – off scratch Time 5:31:19++
Does anyone know if medals were awarded to everyone who finished the race, or just to those who placed?